tether droid eris to Ubuntu 10.04 machine

My internet service provider is a bit dicey and I occasionally need to be on the Internet even when they are figuring out how to reboot their remote router when they lose connectivity. So I thought I would just tether my smartphone (Droid ERIS) to my computer. After a bit of searching, I came up with a couple requirements.
  1. I didn't want to root my phone. While this is technically a cool thing to do, I just don't want to do that right now.
  2. I need to be able to connect natively to an Ubuntu linux machine. All my computers are currently running ubuntu and I didn't want to screw around with wine or a virtual machine.

Enter easytether. In 5 minutes I had internet connectivity... here's what I did:
  1. downloaded easytether
  2. downloaded the ubuntu driver to the phone
  3. connected the phone to the computer (via usb)
  4. installed the .deb located in phone's download folder
  5. ran easytether on the phone
  6. ran "easytether enumerate" on my computer
  7. ran "sudo dhclient easytether0" on my computer


I'm impressed! What's more telling (aside from this just working) is that there is not yet a Mac version, but there is both a 32 and a 64 bit Ubuntu package. It makes me wonder exactly how many Ubuntu users there really are and how long until it surpasses the Mac market.

Speed results:
Last Result:
Download Speed: 674 kbps (84.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 635 kbps (79.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Comments

Anonymous said…
I keep getting no such device
SIOCSIFADDR
Mike Mainguy said…
Might want to try lsusb and see if the droid is found.

Popular posts from this blog

Push versus pull deployment models

the myth of asynchronous JDBC

Installing virtualbox guest additions on Centos 7 minimal image